Wednesday, 1 October 2014

Distress Paint Love..

Happy Wednesday! Hope you are all having a wonderfully creative week..
I want to say a huge Hi to my new followers! and say a thank you to you all, both old and new for being here,  I appreciate you all so much.
I also awoke to an amazing surprise.. The ever so sweet Paula has featured my Halloween tags on her blog today, along with 9 other amazing projects by some truly inspiring creative people... make sure you pop on by have a look and say Hi!
Today I have a Tim Holtz Worn Cover to share with you.. I did a little experimenting and ended up altering the entire cover..  let's just say it looks nothing now like how it started out.. giggle..
I started of with  a little pile of goodies like this...

I then collaged the entire cover with torn pieces of old book pages and tissue wrap using matte medium, and added in a little picket fence crackle paint when it was all dry..
Next came the fun part, adding in some colour with Distress paint.. I started off with  Frayed burlap, and randomly swiped some paint over the worn cover.
 It works out better if you use your fingers, you can smudge it , and get it into all the places you want better.

 I then repeated with my other colours - Walnut Stain and Iced Spruce.  Because I used my fingers and only a small amount of paint it didn't take long to dry between each colour.

Next, it was time to get out my trusty Black Soot Distress marker and swipe and smudge it around the edges of the cover.. don't forget the back cover and spine! I ended up doing this several times at different stages before I was done. Add in a little torn tissue tape, and add in a pop of colour using the Broken China Distress marker.
You could also add in a few more random smudges of paint here if you think it needs it, and allow to dry. Add in some randomly placed remnant rubs
 and some more  swipes of picket fence crackle paint..  This will pick up little bits of colour from the  distress marker as well...  Add some more smudged Black Soot Distress marker to your edges and by now it should look a little like this..
Add  in some  embellishments for the front cover.. a butterfly from the Thrift Shop Ephemera pack and an ornate plate. I adhered them again with multi medium and allowed them to dry.
Apply and smudge some more Black Soot Distress Marker around the edges of the ornate plate and a thin layer of MicroGlaze to the whole cover, and buff with a soft cloth.. Lastly add in some metal corners and some sort of binding.. I used a Tim Holtz Ring Binder fastened with hitch fasteners, but ribbon would work just as well.. add in some tag pockets  and we're done!
I have to say I love how it turned out..
and of course a couple of close ups..
I love the look of the hitch fasteners used to hold the ring binder in place.. and they are useful for hanging things off :)

The Details:
Base - Tim Holtz Worn Cover - Diary
Paints and Markers: Distress Paint - Frayed Burlap, Walnut Stain, Iced Spruce.
Distress Markers - Broken China, Black Soot
Embellishments - Old book paper, Tim Holtz - Tissue Wrap - Composer, Ornate Plate, Mini  Metal Corners, Thrift Shop Ephemera, Tissue Tape - Sketchbook,
Thank you so much for stopping by,
 I hope you enjoyed your visit, and hope to see you again soon :)
Happy Creating..
Karen xx


  1. Congratulations on being featured by Paula,, but it is not really surprising, your work is always superb! I love how you altered the worn cover, it looked good before but it looks fabulous now. Anne x

  2. This looks gorgeous. Thanks for showing Anneke.

  3. A superbly altered cover Karen. Loving that layered media. Jenny x

  4. Thank you for sharing this type of information with us. check this website
    play bazaar
    satta king